Finding Female Ancestors
As genealogists all of us have brick walls: are any time, spot or location. There isn’t any one solution for re solving a dead end up in our lineage. Every issue has to be approached differently. Because most documents generally in most areas and schedules are focused around guys, we quite often only have a name that is first of spouse, or usually, no title after all. We simply understand she ended up being the spouse of Thomas Jones. To resolve this kind of dilemma we ought to figure out the time, location and circumstances relative to our feminine ancestor. We should lay the groundwork for attacking the situation in a way that is special.
Probably the many way that is straightforward strike such a challenge would be to produce a schedule of her life. Collect all information understood about her. Or even much is well known, give attention to her spouse. Where were they whenever, from wedding and on occasion even delivery, to your time that they had their children, towards the close of these life.
1. Try to find the wedding record it self. Discover the initial marriage record. The wedding application or licence could be more valuable compared to the initial. In surrounding areas, or check various marriage indexes if you can’t find the marriage, seek it.
2. Check always all feasible documents on spouse to obtain clues to simply help figure out who she ended up being.
3. If ancestor fought within the military, check retirement papers for the widow. Military retirement Papers important, specially if spouse outlived spouse. Beneficial to Revolutionary War, War of 1812, Mexican War, Union Civil War, Spanish-American War, Indian Wars, etc.
Ancestry.com has Union Pension Papers. A lady had to show that she ended up being wife that is lawful widow of soldier. Refused Pension Applications usually contain much more details than accepted people.
4. Land records, deeds., homestead documents or any other court documents might provide wife’s name that is first and on occasion even her maiden title. Land Records: One of major sources for determining maiden title. These are not useful in big urban centers or if the grouped family rented. If guy passed away without having a might, his estate that is real had be split among heirs. Included all kids, even daughters with married names. See them in grantor-grantee indexes. Court Public Records Test.
Salem, Essex, Massachusetts Court of Sessions of Peace 26 Dec 1710
Rachel Codury of Marblehead seems and confessed herself accountable of ye
criminal activity of fornication with Andrew Tucker Jr. Of Marblehead.
5. Immerse yourself in most the records regarding the area. Learn other families, specially her husband’s family members, their career, socio-economic status, etc. Did spouse go usually, or result from a well-established category of the region? Did he cope with individuals of other surnames? He might been employed by together with his wife’s daddy, therefore learn with who he previously company transactions. whom did he purchase and to/from/with sell land? Don’t simply concentrate on the partners. Broaden your hunt. just What took place towards the young ones? Maybe another descendant has information.
6. Trace your family in every census that is possible. US or Canadian censuses, particularly 1841 or 1851 and soon after. Husband’s sis married in nj, therefore check always N.J. and you also might find their wedding here aswell. Census: U.S. 1790-1930 will get access to most returns that are census line. 1940 or later on can be had for the charge.
Uk census 1911, 1921 can be searched by communication.
Canada through 1901; FamilySearch 1880 and 1881 census
Old girl coping with household in census, may be mother-in-law. Look for her DC
7. Check always personal documents: your very own family members documents and records, household Bibles, etc.
8. The wedding may well not were recorded anywhere that endures, particularly when in N.Y., PA, Southern States, or any frontier. Also a married relationship in brand brand brand New England might not survive.
9. When a lady ended up being widowed, she became mind associated with home. whenever she requires support as just one girl or perhaps a widow, who can she move to behave as a surety in a bond or witness to secure deal? She will probably head to her brothers or dad in the region. Names on appropriate documents coping with a widow might be her family relations.
10. Sources to test to find her title:
a. Church documents
HENRY IRISH IMMIGRATED FROM BRITISH ISLES TO NYC IN 1819. HE LIVED IN NYC AND QUEENS. 1850 CENSUS SAID EACH HE AND WIFE BORN ENGLAND. LOST AN EYE ON FAMILY IN 1920’S. DISCOVERED A COUSIN INTERESTED. UNCOVER WHAT SHE KNOWS IN REGARDS TO THE IRISHES. SHE HAD A BIG PULPIT BIBLE WHICH REPORTED:
HENRY & ANN IRISH MARRIED 1 JAN 1807 KINGSTON, PORTSEA, ENGLAND. HENRY WAS SON OF JOSEPH AND SARAH (LANGE) IRISH. HENRY WAS CREATED 15 NOV 1787 AT HAVANT, HAMPSHIRE. ANN IRISH WAS DAUGHTER OF JOHN AND MARY (REED) HILL, BORN PORTSMOUTH, HAMPSHIRE, ENGLAND.
GENEALOGICAL EPIPHANY. ! It struggled to obtain David Dearborn, it might meet your needs. Seek family members and bibles on online, etc.
c. Newspaper notices of wedding, birth, death, going, etc.
Montrose Democrat, PA. 9 Apr 1873
Hitched at Franklin township, Susquehanna, PA 28 Mar 1873, Henry Dearborn to skip Cordelia Annis, child of Mr. Robert Seamans (just source of wedding for that period of time). 24. Private Documents
d. Personal journals, diaries, letters in family’s possession, etc. Families have actually records, MS or printed. Samplers – cross-stitch and needlepoint, Asia ink or watercolor. Includes Family Group, parents and children’s names, delivery times, view of household farm.
Banton Family (masonic stone symbols)
Samuel Banton (passed away, age) md. Rebecca Gilham (passed away and age)
ag e. Gravestones or cemetery documents. Took 30 years to discover the parents also after discovered the death rock. Found descendants a few generations later on to get required information.
Esther spouse of William Barth passed away Feb 28, 1832 age 78 years
child of Thomas and Tabitha Barlow of England
Had currently traced William Barlow to Esther Bantin. Rock stated, “Esther Barlow had three or four young ones.”
f. Death certification of a lady need to have her maiden title on it, in addition to her moms and dads’ names and birthplaces. Her husband’s death certificates must have her maiden name. Her children’s death certificates additionally could have her maiden name. Her children’s wedding documents additionally might have it. Civil or public information, as an example, California Death Index: Pembrook Banton passed away 1940 in California. Marital Reputation: Divorced. Searched divorces and found them. Divorce papers suggested:
Hitched in Dubuque, Iowa 14 Mar 1887
We never ever knew they ever lived in Iowa. Their siblings additionally had been present in Iowa.
g. Obituaries of spouse, spouse or loved ones.
Brand New Hampshire Morning Celebrity, Dover, N.H.
Died in Jackson, N.H. 16 Dec 1850 Mrs. Martha, spouse of Moses Anderson and youngest child of Mr. George and Mrs. Catherine Johnson, aged 17 years 8 months. She left a baby child. (Death certificate will not provide any one of this information. Obit much more valuable)
h. Divorce records: frequently give wife’s maiden name, or tell where as soon as hitched. May inform wherever from
i. Probate record of her dad or her brothers. You may need certainly to read all wills when you look at the county to ascertain her title. Probates could be published, abstracted and indexed . brand New Hampshire has all wills published and abstracted with an every title index. NH State Papers, vol. 31-39.
11. Posted or ready Indexes:
- IGI or FamilySearch.com
- FHL surname catalogue
- NEHGS or any other libraries that are major neighborhood towns, universities, etc.
- There are numerous CDs with marriages for the continuing state or province
- American Genealogical & Biographical Index (AGBI) has a huge selection of volumes. Indexes all true names in 1790 census, includes all soldiers whom fought in Revolutionary War. Indexes countess county records, esp. Brand New England. It’s at NEHGS.
- Every-name index to NEHGR – available on CD or posted. This quarterly published continuously since 1847. It really is a treasure trove of data.
- PERSI – index of journal articles from 19thC to the current. Can look for all entries of your surnames, yet not indiv >County histories, specially Midwest – OH, IN, MI, IL, PA, NY areas. Called Midwest “mug books” by Vanity Press Publications. Information had been self-serving, flattered visitors to place your bio that is own and of self, household or farm. Not necessarily accurate.
NEHGS has CD along with information inside their assortment of bibles.
13. Other Sources to get maiden title:
- Transcribed or published monograph or article in log on the surname.
- The thing that was faith? Today Don’t assume same as you are. RC, Protestant, Jewish, which branch?
- Variance in documents: Church record calls her Harriet Irish; civil enrollment calls her Sarah Irish.
There are numerous sources, documents and methodologies for getting a maiden title.
*Your ancestor didn’t appear away from nowhere. Possessed life and lived somewhere just before wedding.
*When ancestor married her family members didn’t disappear completely – they probably are now living in the exact same area.
*Learn in regards to the area: history, topography, faith,
*There is not any guarantee we shall find maiden title. We look and appear, look for recommendations and sources and approaches to approach a challenge.
*Look in the entire household – all kids, siblings, of spouse. The partners might have hitched siblings of just one another. Seek residing descendants, bibles, death certification of family members, to fix a name problem that is maiden.
Allen, Donna Murray, “12 methods to Find an Ancestor’s Maiden Name, Family Chronicle, 7:1 (Sept/Oct 2002);62
Carmack, Sharon DeBartolo, A Genealogist’s guide to Discovering Your ancestors that are femaleCincinnati: Betterway Books, 1998).
Deerborn, David C., “Methods to spot a Wife’s Maiden Name,” The Essex Genealogist, 12 (1992):3-15
Dollarhide, William, “Identifying Female Ancestors: Some Case Records,” Heritage Quest, 17:3 (May/June 2001):8-17.
Hogan, Roseann R.. “Female Ancestry,” Ancestry, 12:2 (March/April 1994): 26-28.
NEHGS Lectures on Tape
- Types of Finding a Wife’s Ma >Schaefer, Christina Kassabian, The half that is hidden of family members: A sourcebook for women’s genealogy (Baltimore:Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999)